Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Immortal

I had the opportunity to watch the movie "300" for the second time yesterday and I was reminded of how much I really love it. I'm not usually into action/drama/ripping people's heads off type movies, but I was convinced to see it the first time by a group of friends and thoroughly enjoyed it.

For those of you not familiar with "300", let me give you a little background. The movie is loosely based on the historical Battle of Thermopylae. I say loosely because in actuality, the movie is based on Frank Miller's comic version of the famous battle. The purpose of the movie was to create a mythical version of a real-life event, instead of vice versa, which is usually how Hollywood works. The legendary battle pits the warriors of Sparta lead by King Leonidas against the massive Persian army.

There are a number of great scenes and quotable moments, but one scene and line in particular stuck out to me the first time I saw the movie and again when I watched it for the second time, but for two different reasons. The Spartans are traveling to Thermopylae and have reached camp for the night. They realize they are being followed by a creature of some sort so King Leonidas goes to investigate. He finds a man named Ephialtes who is a Spartan, but a very hideous disfigured being. He should not even be alive based on Spartan standards. Ephialtes wants to fight with the Spartan army, but Leonidas denies him because he is not physically capable. Ephialtes curses Leonidas, swearing revenge, and in a later scene Ephialtes is pledging his allegiance to Xerxes, the Persian king.

In the final scene of the movie, before the last battle takes place, King Leonidas and Ephialtes are face to face. Leonidas says to Ephialtes, "may you live forever." Immediately, a look of horrified shame comes over the face of Ephialtes.

Now, the first time I saw the movie I assumed that Leonidas was pulling the "kill him with kindness" act. You know how it goes....someone wrongs you in the worst way so you wish them the best of luck, tell them to have a great life, and basically make them feel like s---. Good job Leonidas. When I watched it the second time, I honestly had the same reaction. It wasn't until I watched the special features that I understood the true implications of that statment. In ancient Sparta, the most desired way to die was in battle. Living forever would have shown weakness and a lack of loyalty. Two things that the people of Sparta would have been most offended by. Leonidas had cursed Ephialtes in the worst way imaginable.

The idea of living forever has taken on a completely different connotation in the modern world. Today, people will go to great lengths to try and live forever, or at least as long as they can. But as a Christian who believes in eternal life after death, I'm going to have to take the side of Spartans on this one. I have no desire to live forever. Not because I believe that living forever is a sign of weakness or because dying for my country is the only conceivable way of dying, but because I know what lies on the other side of this life.

And that is worth dying for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home