Sunday, October 01, 2006

Single White Female

I recently had a conversation with a friend of a friend. We were discussing our different workout regimes and I explained to him that I get up at 5:30am to run. He looked at me with a puzzled expression on his face and then asked, "Do you have kids?" To which I replied, "No." He then proceeded to ask if I was married, and again, I answered no. Last, but not least, he asked if I had a boyfriend, and of course, I answered no. The puzzled expression disappeared from his face and he said, "Well, that explains it." What the hell is that supposed to mean? What exactly did the answers to those questions explain?

I was caught slightly off-guard, and didn't get the chance to really think about his statement until later. And then it hit me.....since I don't have a husband to care for, or children to nurture, or even a boyfriend to entertain, I must have all the free time in the world. Apparently, to this man, pursuing a master's degree, embarking on a new career, and constantly worrying about a father who is battling cancer translates into a lifestyle that should allow me to run at my leisure.

And here I thought that the world was more accepting of single women.......wrong again.

I'm ok with being single.

Let me say that again.

I'm ok with being single.

Don't get me wrong, I do have a desire to get married. However, I refuse to let that desire define me. I have no control over whether or not I get married. I put that control in God's hands a long time ago, and I don't want it back. One of the biggest sins I struggle with is that of discontent. Discontent in my job, in my friendships, and yes, in my dating life. I have to remind myself on a daily basis that if it's God's will, I will get married. But if not,

I'm ok with being single.

1 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I put that control in God's Hands a long time ago, and I don't want it back." -Megs- For some reason that hit home.... I think I really needed to hear that, and to me it is almost poetic. You go on girl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home